Confession: I actually graduated from university last year. At the time, I didn’t feel that nostalgic, since I knew I would be heading back to school, but seeing all of the posts that my friends were making this month has made me change my mind. As a result, I decided to make this little mortarboard!
- 1/50 skein of Lion Brand Yarns Heartland — a worsted weight (4) yarn (above: Black Canyon)
- 3.00 mm hook
Pattern by tick-tock hobbies
(abbreviations: SC = single crochet; INC = two single crochet in one stitch)
- Chain eleven stitches.
- Starting in the second stitch from the hook, SC in each stitch across the row (10 stitches)
- Chain-1 and repeat step two. (10 stitches)
- Repeat step 3 nine more times. Cut the yarn and weave in ends.
- Using the magic circle, SC six times. (6 stitches)
- INC in each stitch around the circle. (12 stitches)
- *SC in one stitch, then INC in the next.* Repeat from * to * five more times. (18 stitches)
- SC in each stitch around the circle. (18 stitches)
- Repeat step 8.
- Using the tail from the beginning of the magic circle, attach the little dome portion to the flat half of the cap.
I’ll be honest — I feel like the mortarboard doesn’t look good on anyone, so when I graduated last year, I didn’t take many pictures of myself wearing it. Instead, here is a picture of a non-cap wearing, non-gown wearing graduated me!
In case you’re curious, I graduated last year with a Bachelor of Science from the University of Alberta, and I’m now working towards my Master of Science in Speech-Language Pathology! It’s been a crazy year with a lot to learn and take in, but I’m so thankful for all of the experiences I’ve had and I can only hope that I’ll be able to make a positive difference in the world someday.
Until next time, happy crafting!