Whenever winter hits, I always find that the hoods on my coat never stay on my head. On top of that, I’m much too absent-minded to carry a toque around with me, so my poor ears always end up suffering the brunt of the cold. I decided that headbands are my best shot to saving my ears this winter, so I went ahead and used up some scraps of yarn and tinkered with stitches until I came up with a pattern that I was happy with.
- 1/3 skein of Isaac Mizrahi Carlyle – a super bulky weight (6) yarn (above: Plaza)
- Size P (11.5 mm) hook
Pattern by tick-tock hobbies
(abbreviations: SC = single crochet; DC = double crochet)
- Foundation single crochet forty-one stitches. If this is not long enough to wrap around your head, chain any multiple of 5 plus 1. (41 stitches)
- Chain one and turn. SC across the row. (41 stitches)
- Chain two and turn. This chain will count as a DC. Do two DC in the third stitch from the hook. *Skip four stitches. Do five DC in the next stitch.* Repeat from * to * until there are five stitches left. Skip four stitches and do two DC in the last stitch. (41 stitches)
- Chain two and turn. This chain will count as a DC. Do five DC in the space of the fifth stitch from the hook. (do the stitch under all three strands of yarn from the previous row rather than under the normal “v”) *Skip four stitches. Do five DC in the next stitch space, which should be in the gap between the two clusters from the previous row (again, do the stitch under all three strands of yarn, not the normal “v”).* Repeat from * to * until there are three stitches left. Skip two stitches and do a DC in the last stitch. (41 stitches)
- Chain one and turn. SC normally across the row, except for the stitch between clusters, where the SC should be under all three strands rather than the normal “v”. (41 stitches)
- Chain one and turn. SC across the row. Cut off a tail and use the whip stitch to weave the two ends of the headband together. (41 stitches)
I hope that all made sense, especially the part about doing the stitch under all three strands, and not the “v”. I’ll try to get some pictures next time, but I totally forgot while I was making it. I found that this small change made a huge difference in how clean the clusters looked. When I was stitching in the “v”, that last remaining strand stuck out like a sore thumb afterwards. If this pattern doesn’t make sense, please reach out to me, and I’ll try my best to clarify it.
Pictures in general were a weak spot for me this week since it’s technically my week of finals right now, and I actually should have been studying instead of making this headband! Still, I find crochet relaxing, and relaxation was something I definitely needed as I started to stress a tad too much this week.
I’ll try to update this post better in the weeks to come — there should be more pictures as well as an Etsy listing to come, so keep your eyes peeled! Until next time, I hope you have a good week and happy adventures.
UPDATE: The Etsy listing is now live!
This pattern is an original pattern by June Cheung at Tick-Tock Hobbies – please do not claim this pattern as your own or reprint it on another site or any other format. If you want to share this pattern (and I’d love it if you do!), just link to this pattern and give me the proper credit. You may keep a copy of the pattern for your own personal use, but please DO NOT sell this pattern. Permission is NOT granted for any finished products to be sold for profit, or for mass production, or for factory manufacturing of any kind. Thank you so much for your respect and understanding!